Do you know adults are happy reading children books?
Recently, I have taken out a pile of storybooks stored on the upper shelf in my room. When my daughter was small, I read them all to her. Then she learnt to read herself and after all the rounds, this pile of books were of no use for that time being. I tied those books in an old bedsheet and stored them above my almirah. After many years, my son showed interest in reading storybooks and I remembered the ones I had stored. Now the story is repeating itself. There is another level of excitement when you read children books.
Reading aloud children books make you happy
When I took out that bundle of books, my daughter was surprised to see that I have kept them safe for so long. She thought I have donated them long back. Do mothers donate things so easily and that too a book lover mom donating books?
Well, I didn’t expect my son would love to read storybooks as he picked up this habit a little later. But now, I am enjoying this phase of my life again. Reading Panchatantra and many other books from the same genre simply makes me happy.
Why picture books in between thriller and horror
- They are so colourful and pictures say it all. I remember narrating comic books to my younger brother when we were small. He used to look at pictures and mug up the dialogues. He didn’t know to read at that time but he would listen the same story from different family members and just looking at the pictures, he would narrate the story again.
- Stories are creative and magical. They take us to another world where in the end, all is good. They create a dreamland different from real life. You drop off all life tensions for a while and enjoy the story with your kids.
- Every story has a learning, wisdom is appreciated at any age. Children love to know the moral of the story in the end. It’s another story whether they apply it or not.
- Picture books make it easy to understand the concept. When we read an adult book, a picture creates in our mind as we progress. In children books, this is done beforehand.
- Story plot is simple and complete. It starts, a problem arises and you get a solution. It’s the same curvein every story but you get satisfaction. There are no open ends. We teach our children that whatever starts ends in due course of time.
I did a creative writing course in 2015 from British Library Delhi. It was a 2 months course and learnt writing children’s story also. Although, I was not very interested in the genre I got very good marks in that. My teacher said that I have kept it simple and solved the problem that I created in the beginning.
Do you love reading picture books with your kids?
This post is a part of Blogchatter Half Marathon Aug’21