20 years ago I was 15 but happy to be unsure of my future

1. Kaddu says:

20 years ago is the time when some real awful sh*t happened in my life. It changed the entire course of my life, changed me too, and not in a good way, I would say. Not just me in fact, but my entire family. If I could go back in time and change one event, that would be it.

I can understand this. There are many instances, small and big, that I would never want to happen if given a chance to live again. Well that’s life. Maybe because of all that we are wise today. Thanks a lot

2. Damyanti Biswas says:

Loved your writeup and mostly getting to know your grandma through it.

3. Such a pleasant time right, Geet? I liked how soft this post is. I could relate to the school part, though I enjoyed every bit in school even though I was an average student. Never worried about what others think of me because of my marks or so, because personally I never thought much. 😬 Time with Grandparents is still the best. The times then is very different from the times now. I wish I am more calm and take things easy these days like back then. I was just 12 back then. I’m trying to recollect memories.. This entire group has brought out good memories from the past.

4. The exposure you got from your family seems to be incredible. I faced a lot of set backs when it came to support from family and lacked their support in the initial stages. I feel happy for you to have got all that, when you needed the most! Thank you for sharing your story.

5. Many good memories! Might have been a wonderful time spent with your grandma.

6. Jyothi says:

Ditto about the music. I still remember the lyrics of all those old songs I used to listen to on tape recorders and walkmans back them! Now , I listen to them on my phone and all those memories come drifting back!

7. Shilpa Garg says:

I think, most of us in our teens were carefree and happy-go-lucky kids but yes, there were those who had clear goals and objectives even back then. But despite being clueless, we did turn out right! I like that you have had some strong and wonderful inspiring people in your early life and that has shaped the person you are today! Great going, Geethica!

8. Obsessivemom says:

I am amazed at children who know what they’re going to do in life at 15. Like you, I was pretty clueless back then. It was only much much later that I figured it all out. Maybe that’s one reason we were happy and carefree.
    I have to agree that living with grandparents is wonderful I had my paternal grandparents and they pampered me silly while my parents could be as strict as they wanted to. That’s the best combination to have as a growing up youngster.

9. You make a good point; I won’t say that I ever felt as though I were drifting – but I did not feel a strong sense of PURPOSE in life, either, at 15. There were specific goals that, as they came up, I felt driven to accomplish. I never had a “five year plan” and probably switched majors 3-4 times in college – I didn’t bother, even, to declare one until my Junior year! I had so many interests and the one I thought I was most passionate about then is far from anything I’ve done professionally since then. Life hands you opportunities and choices, and I have not regretted reaching out for one over another, ever, probably for the same reason you mentioned. Had I chosen a path too early, it might well have been the wrong one. I held out, waited to see what life might offer up, and I think that allowed me MORE choices. (Had I pursued what I thought was my “passion” at 16 – and I did have the opportunity to do so – I would not have met and married the man I’ve had as my life partner and father of our two children these past 35 years. And believe me, he and they have been a much greater passion for me – a much more fulfilling life’s journey – than geology and volcanoes would have been.)

10. Your mother and grandmother seem like strong women, ahead of their times. The genes are evident in you. I’m so curious about the Tamil connection. I would never have guessed!