My companion for sleepless nights
It was 3 am in the morning and I was still awake. Looking at the ceiling I cried at my bedside. “When will I sleep?” I asked God. Just 10 days back we were blessed with a baby doll, Aishwari. I was adjusting to the new schedule; my tiny doll was brought to me. As much as I was thrilled to have a doll in my life, I was equally tired of re-planning my tasks according to her. But she was crying at regular intervals. When I asked people around, they said newborns convey their message through crying. But the situation worsened when I had sleepless nights.
On contacting the doctor, Aishwari was diagnosed with a severe cold. Babies are obligatory nose breathers, and because of a blocked nose, she was not able to have milk and cried the whole night. The course of medicine had started but there was no relief.
What panicked me more was
- As a new mother, I was not aware of any home remedies for instant relief.
- The whole world had suggestions for me and the baby to confuse me.
- The doctor had a different version of all of this.
- I was not brave enough to take up my own decision. I was not clear what was right for the baby.
- Meanwhile, I was not able to breastfeed her. Every other minute she would cry because of hunger. And her blocked nose didn’t let her drink milk.
- At that time, I didn’t know that I could have pumped the milk and fed her through a spoon or given her formula milk.
Nasivion– Companion for sleepless nights
The nights were pathetic for continuous 5 days. I was mentally and physically drained out. On the advice of a close friend, I browsed the internet for solutions and found Nasivion mini (baby) nose drops. At that very moment, I went back in time. I had been using this nasal drops since I was a child. Then how did I forget about it? Anyways, it is better late than never. Before starting, I consulted my paediatrician.
He advised giving 1 drop of the solution (0.01%) into each nostril 2-3 times per day, up to the age of 4 weeks. From the 5th week of life until the age of 1 year, instil 1-2 drops into each nostril 2-3 times per day. In case you are also facing the same problem do consult your paediatrician before using nasivion.
As per the dosage, Aishwari was getting better gradually and able to have milk as and when required. I was also less stressed. I had a sound sleep that night after so long. I was relieved to have a companion at my bedside other than my baby doll.