Cyber Security for kids
Today, being on the internet is like breathing. You cannot detach yourself from it. Our work is related to this and when we relax then also we like to be on the internet. Kids watch us and copy us. And naturally, kids are also glued to the internet. Everything seems to be perfect but have you ever thought of cybersecurity for your kids?
Cybersecurity is the body of technologies, processes and practices designed to protect networks, computers, programs and data from attack, damage or unauthorized access. And how do we protect our kids from unknown risks online? Are we always aware of what they are browsing? With whom they are being friends?
Nothing is impossible
- Talk to them- Be their friend along with being a parent. Sharing your thoughts with them is the best way to know them and let them understand your feelings. Of course, there’s always a thin line drawn between you two. I told my 9 year daughter that whoever suggests you links to watch on YouTube, talk to me because they maybe links of violence or adult content which should not be watched at this stage. You need to inculcate confidence in your child.
- Sync your Google phone with laptop and phone Whatsapp with Whatsapp web on your laptop. This way you can see what’s happening on all of them from any of the devices. Let your child also know about this. They will be aware of who’s watching what?
- Peer pressure in school is too much these days. My daughter demands for a tab or a phone for herself. But I personally feel that she doesn’t realise the importance of money earned to buy these luxuries. I told her that you don’t respect its importance and there’s no need of it for you. You can always share my phone and laptop. Be alittle big then we will buy you one. Also she has a small sibling who would not understand that it is of no use to him. They will fight over it. When there are siblings, you learn to adjust also.
- It is not possible to keep away your child from gadgets totally. But I always restrict their time of usage. Luckily they are not into online gaming yet. My daughter loves to watch Youtube videos which I also watch with her sometimes to share our bonding. And other times I ask her about the video. Whereas my younger son downloads the game from playstore. He is a little addict which I am trying to restrict.
- I tell them to watch television for sometimes rather than see mobile as TV is seen from a distance. This way they forget about mobile and watch some movies together.
There are many ways to keep a control on your kid but you have to see what works for you the best.