Legendary less known
- She spoke many languages including Hindi, English, Tamil, Telugu and Kannada fluently.
- She was trained in classical dance forms like Bharatnatyam, Kathak, MohiniAttam and Manipuri and performed all over India.
- She started learning Carnatic music at the age of 4 and sang several songs in her own films.
- She was a voracious reader and read practically everything. Her favourite authors were Jane Austin, Charles Dickens among others.
- She learnt her politics from a man known to have been one of Tamil Nadu’s shrewdest politicos.
- In 1972, she was honoured by the Tamil Nadu government with the award Kalaimamani, given for excellence in the field of art and literature.
- In the end, it was her connect with the poor and the masses of Tamil Nadu that is her legacy.