Talking about an enforcer, the first name that comes to my mind is that of J Jayalalithaa or fondly known as AMMA. As a kid, I knew her only as a famous actress and then a successful leader. But on her demise, when I read about her in the newspapers and magazines, I got to know many amazing qualities about her that seldom any lady leader could possess. In fact, I was totally intrigued to know about her strong personality.
- She spoke many languages including Hindi, English, Tamil, Telugu and Kannada fluently.
- She was trained in classical dance forms like Bharatnatyam, Kathak, MohiniAttam and Manipuri and performed all over India.
- She started learning Carnatic music at the age of 4 and sang several songs in her own films.
- She was a voracious reader and read practically everything. Her favourite authors were Jane Austin, Charles Dickens among others.
- She learnt her politics from a man known to have been one of Tamil Nadu’s shrewdest politicos.
- In 1972, she was honoured by the Tamil Nadu government with the award Kalaimamani, given for excellence in the field of art and literature.
- In the end, it was her connect with the poor and the masses of Tamil Nadu that is her legacy.